Kotra is main art project of Ukrainian sound-artist and promoter Dmytro Fedorenko from Kyiv, Ukraine. Creator and runner of his label Kvitnu, curator of international festivals Kvitnu Fest and Detali Zvuku. Though he is a classically trained guitarist, you won't hear a guitar in his harsh, lately inderministic extreme noise music. Dmytro started making music in an avant-garde or noise duo called Zet; after its breakup in 1998 he started the Kotra project, releasing tapes and CDs, combining extremely loud waves with other sounds and playing with the results. Worked with Zavoloka, Abs6, Kim Cascone, Jeff Surak, Moljebka Pvlse, Andrey Kiritchenko and Andreas Berthling. Kotra is a very active and productive artist - intensively performing around the world at festivals and touring. He has many releases available on various labels all over the world.
- Detailed biography
Dmytro Fedorenko works and activities as Kotra:
Since beginning Kotra released 8 full length solo albums, 7 Ep's and mini albums, 9 collaborations and numerous tracks in compilations on his label Kvitnu as well as on many labels around the world, like Nexsound, Alku, Zeromoon, Audiotong, Nishi.
Kotra's tracks were also part of compilations in The Wire Magazine, Gonzo Circus, Sonic Arts Network, Contemporary Music Review, Microsound and many others.
Kotra collaborated with Abs6, Zavoloka, Moljebka Pvlse, Kim Cascone, Andrey Kiritchenko, Jeffrey Surak, Critikal and Andreas Berthling.
Kotra performed on such festivals as Clubtransmediale (DE), Unsound (PL), Sonic Circuits (USA), Garage festival (DE), Noise&Fury festival (RU), Being The Future (DE), Resistance (SK), Soundbridges (AT), Detali Zvuku (UA), Cimatics (BE), Audio Art (PL), Radius (AT), Kvitnu Fest (UA)
Dmytro Fedorenko as label producer / publisher:
- In 2006 found his own label Kvitnu and runs it till this moment. During first few years became home label for such artists as Zavoloka, Sturqen, Plaster, Dunaewsky69, v4w.enko, Vitor Joaquim and Kotra.
In 2011 Kvitnu became a winner in three nominations of the Qwartz Electronic Music Awards 7 in Paris - as The Best label, The Best Artist (Sturqen) and Discovery Category ("Peste" by Sturqen). Also v4w.enko was nominated in Discovery category with his work “Harmonic Ratio”.
- From 2005 to 2007 runs his special label-project Live Reports, releasing only recordings of live events, primarily organized by himself. During two years Live Reports released recordings from such artists like Kapital Band 1, Institut Für Feinmotorik, Gert-Jan Prins, Andreas Tilliander, Mikael Stavöstrand, Zavoloka, Zenial, Alexei Borisov and many other.
- From 2003 till 2007 was a co-producer of Nexsound. During that period Dmytro was responsible for all production on that label, as well as for all concerts and festivals run under this name. Responsible for first releases of Zavoloka and such projects as re-releases of Muslimgauze and International festival Detali Zvuku.
- From 1999 to 2001 was a time of miscellaneous self releases on cassettes, CD-R's and VHS tapes in collaboration with numerous visual artists in Kyiv.
- In 1998 in cooperation with Moon Records Dmytro co-produced one of the first compilations of Ukrainian experimental music "Plastmasa", as well as his first solo works as Kotra.
Dmytro Fedorenko as festival and art-projects curator and event promoter:
- Since 2008 runs series of events Kvitnu_live with such guest artists as Pan Sonic, Scorn, Extrawelt, Submerged and many other.
- In 2007 created "Kvitnu Fest" which gathered all active Ukrainian experimental electronic artists in one place. Later Kvitnu Fest turned into International festival and replaced "Detali Zvuku".
- In 2006 curates first Ukrainian tour of experimental music artists form Sweden and Ukraine "Swizhe" with such artists as Moljebka Pvlse, Zavoloka, Saralunden, Kotra, Ida Lunden, Anders Dahl and Andery Kiritchenko.
- In 2005 Dmytro Fedorenko together with Oleksandr Prohorenko and Volodymyr Pashkovskyj created first International festival for experimental music in Ukraine "Detali Zvuku". Festival took place till 2008. Editions of 2006, 2007 and 2008 were curated by Dmytro alone.
- Since 2003 constantly runs series of regular events with local and International artists representing different ways of experimental music.
- In 1998 and 1999 makes first electronic events in small clubs of Kyiv.
Residencies, workshops, special projects:
- 2012 - six month residence in Krakow Music Academy, Studio of Electroacoustic Music (Gaude Polonia).
- 2011 - International collaboration project between three organizations Kvitnu, Headfun and Pro Helvetia in Geneva, Switzerland - "Ukrainian Connections".
- 2008 - six month residence in Krakow Music Academy, Studio of Electroacoustic Music (Gaude Polonia).
- 2006 - International collaboration with Swedish artists in Stockholm, Sweden - "Swizhe".
- 1998-1999 - miscellaneous workshops at Soros Center For Contemporary arts (Video Art workshop, Interactive Media, Internet&Art, ...)